At Bower Park Academy, we pride ourselves on providing an exciting, engaging and current drama education that helps prepare young people for their futures. Every student has one drama lesson per week during Years 7 – 9. In this time, the department aims to build confidence and increase presentational skills, with a strong focus on consolidating the basic techniques required as an actor, as well as preparing students for the elements required at GCSE.
During KS4, students study WJEC GCSE Drama. Over the two-year course, students will participate in both practical and written workshops designed to develop their knowledge and understanding of acting and the technical elements involved in live theatre.
Our drama classes include:
- Improvisation and devising
- Script work: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Ivan and the Dogs, DNA
- Exploring physicality and character development
- Rehearsal techniques
All classes are delivered by a dynamic and dedicated teaching team: Mrs K Lechmere (Head of Drama), Miss C Millard (Head of Performing Arts), Mr E Aylett (Assistant Principal and drama teacher)
Running parallel to the department is the vast array of enrichment and ‘out of hours learning’ opportunities that our drama department offers. Opportunities include:
- The chance to take LAMDA exams
- The opportunity to perform in school plays
- KS3 drama club
- Glee Club and the annual Glee Extravaganza
- Theatre trips
- New York performing arts trip
- Young Americans – workshops delivered by young professionals
- Auditions for the National Youth Theatre
- Casting and film opportunities
- Italia Conti tours and workshops
- Havering College
- West End shows
- Bronze Arts Award
Mr E Aylett, Drama Department
If you wish to contact me, my email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
Bands Project, Tuesdays 2.30-4pm
Do you want to learn an instrument? Perform in a band? Make new friends?
Bands Project gives you the opportunity to do just that!
It costs just £3 per week.
Private music lessons run on Tuesdays. Guitar, voice, violin, drums, piano….. and many more!
Pick up a letter from the Performing Arts Department.